Basilica Minore del Santo Niño or Minor Basilica of the Holy Child is one of the minor basilicas in Cebu City. This is the oldest Roman Catholic church in the country built in the same spot where the image of Santo Niño was found in 1565 by Spanish explorers led by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. This statue is the same with the statue given by Ferdinand Magellan to the wife of Rajah Humabon, 44 years later, as a gift during their baptism on April 14, 1521 at the exact location of Magellan’s Cross today.
The foundation of this church was started on February 29, 1735 by Father Provincial Bergaño, Governor-General Fernando Valdes, Bishop Manuel Antonio Decio y Ocampo and Rev. Juan de Albarran who designed the structure. The church that we can see today is made from hard stones ordered by Fernando Valdes y Tamon. This church was built in the same spot where the previous church stood and was completed in 1739-1740. More story here: TravellingCup