Magellan’s Cross is Christian cross made up of wood erected by Ferdinand Magellan (a Portuguese explorer) during his exploration in Cebu, Philippines on April 21, 1521. This cross can be found inside an octagonal chapel in front of Cebu City Hall and beside Basilica Minore del Santo Niño. This one of the most prominent tourist spot in Cebu and Philippines. But, the cross that you can see today is a tindalo wood where the splinters of the original Magellan’s Cross were encased. The wood of the original cross were deteriorated because the people were chipping some parts and making it as a souvenir in the belief that it’s miraculous.
The chapel of this cross is made from stone and was built in 1841. Then the new cross encasing the splinters of the old cross was established in 1845. This exact location was the place where Cebu’s Rajah Humabon, his wife Juana and 800 followers were baptized on April 14, 1521 and that was the very first Catholic mass in the Philippines. The ceiling of the chapel shows how Magellan instructed the local laborers building this structure. It also contains an image on how the people of Cebu was converted into Christianity. More photos, click here: TravellingCup